Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Smallest Difference Counts

A big congratulations to my Chicas Brillantes (Bright Girls) group that graduated this past Sunday, July 13th. We had an awesome time! In honor of Nelson Mandela's Day of Service, I thought it was only right to share my experience as a volunteer working with this group of girls.
I started this program because I felt obligated to do it based on some of the experiences that I had in the Dominican Republic. There is so much development that needs to be done in this country when it comes to character building and identity. I saw it as my personal duty to show these girls a new light and help them discover a new truth that would bring forth positivity, empowerment, and confidence. It's like Mary Wollstonecraft said, it is not my wish that these girls have power over boys, but that they have power over themselves. I knew that if I was not the one reaffirming who God created them to be and showing them that they are beautiful, powerful, important, and intelligent forces to be reckoned with, then they may never have known it.

I consider this one of my greatest and most significant accomplishments as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic. There were so many times that I wanted to give up and drop this group. In fact, I put them on suspension once for 2.5 weeks and less than a month before the graduation, I completely dropped the group. Both of these times, something in my spirit told me that it was not the right decision. I felt that giving up on the group inadvertently meant giving up on them. I regard these girls as if they were my little sister (and you all know how much I love her!!): I feed them, do their hair, laugh at their corny jokes, give them advice, have “boy talk,” I play kiddie games with them, we have Disney movie nights on my computer, you know- all big sister stuff. So, I could not just be another person out there in the world who closed yet another door in their face, snatched away their happiness, and made them feel undeserving. I was just tired of having one thousand pow wows, frustrated from always having to reprimand or discipline someone, and sometimes it did not feel as if I was making a difference.

Then, one night during some reflection time, I realized that all of my frustrations, disappointments, discouragement, and lack of motivation were surrounded by “I.” I was the root of it all! I was the one inhibiting myself. All along, I made this about me and not them; that was the problem! I think some of you can relate to this as well. Sometimes we forget the very reason and purpose we began whatever we are pursuing. We lose sight of the intention and the great plan as we become consumed with ourselves and our feelings. Long story short, I had to learn to step outside of myself and realize that if I was going to truly empower and impact the lives of these girls, it could not be about me; I could not allow my personal agenda and my unconscious behavior to affect the potential of what I was doing. 
I used to define success by so many standards, but when doing something where the results are not exactly tangible, it becomes a bit more difficult. "Success" for me has been when a young girl says that she loves the program and that it has helped her become more confident or when at 12 year old girl says, "I never want to put chemicals in my hair." Just to hear them say that they have learned something, that they have gained something- that is what success is! Starting Bright Girls, I thought this would be easy! I could just say a few words, do a few activities, and BAM- they would be empowered! But, nope! There are some things that a manual just cannot teach you. It was not enough to tell them they were beautiful, worthy, brave, and smart. It just was not sufficient; we have to show them! Oftentimes words can fall on deaf ears and hardened hearts because everyone has their own experiences and their own reality based on those experiences. Therefore, if you have grown up with negativity being fed into your life and you have been walking in to all of these situations where you just did not feel worthy or up to par, and your character and who you believed yourself to be is constantly minimized, that becomes a part of who you are. It becomes something that you have internalized; it becomes your truth. Consequently, no one tells you that your truth is actually wrong and that it is invalid; thus you continue to use that as a means to gauge who you are and your value. I tried to use different modes to validate these girls. I also sought to not allow only my words, but my actions to do it as well. I had to show them because I believe that it is important for us to demonstrate and constantly reaffirm who young girls are, who they can become, and the potential that they have to be who they want to be despite where they come from, despite what they have been told in the past, and despite their current circumstance.  When we do this and add the liberation factor, which is very important, then I think it becomes something that they can internalize and truly accept as them being who they are and walking in truth to becoming bright empowered girls!
In the past 4-5 months working with this Bright Girls group, I have learned a lot about myself. I thought I was in this to empower them, but I find myself even more empowered as well. I have learned that anything I believe to be important is worth fighting for, even if it contradicts the current circumstance. I have experienced that some girls may never know what it feels like to be empowered, but once they get a taste of it, that’s enough fuel to get the fire going. I am not saying that we all have to be Angela Davis, Maya Angelou, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, or whoever, but young girls, or young people in general, are worth your investment. They may have low self-esteem, but maybe no one ever taught them their worth; they may appear small-minded, but maybe no one ever showed them the world; they may be lost, broken, discouraged, hurt, and confused, but maybe, just maybe, they are waiting for you to save them, to tell them that even if the pieces to the puzzle are scattered- there is still a puzzle, to encourage them, show them love and healing, and to guide them. Service is such an easy thing to do, yet so many of us turn the other cheek. If you have never served before, today is the day to get out there and do something. We all have been blessed with gifts, talents, and experiences that may benefit someone. So, stop holding back what has been entrusted to you with the intention of serving the world. Madiba said, "What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead." Whatever profession you are in, you can always serve. Your service may not take you to a rural community in the Dominican Republic, it may be in your living room empowering your niece or speaking life to someone on the streets. Whatever it is, whatever you do- you can always, and I mean ALWAYS make even the smallest difference count.

-Mandela, thank you for your progress, love, contribution, and impact in the lives of not only my South African brothers and sisters, but the beating hearts of this world. May your name forever resound in the depths of the universe. Today my service is dedicated to you!- Forever Mandela <3

No comments:

Post a Comment